|History of Citroën: 1919
André Citroën starts converting the munition factory of the Quai de Javel in Paris
Inspired by the industrial model put into practice by Henri Ford in the US, andré Citroën decides to import modern working methods in order to manufacture robust, economical cars in large numbers. His ambition is to mass produce cars (he dreams of a thousand vehicles a day) in order to bring prices down and so to male cars mre democratic.
André Citroën quickly introduces a number of innovations in employee facilities at the Javel plant, including a sick bay, a dental surgery and a creche.
History of Citroën: 1920
Stocks of spare parts are created throughout France for the conven-ience of Citroën owners.
Citroën begins to make a name for itself on other markets, exporting about 3,000 cars in 1921.
History of Citroën: 1922
Citroën leases a factory from Clément Bayard in the Paris suburb of Levallois at the end of 1921. In 1922, Citroën begins to produce the famous Trèfle, a 5 bhp open tourer, as well as the half-tracks for the Croisière Noire and Croisière Jaune. The Levallois plant also produces spare parts, body accessories and ball-bearings.
History of Citroën: 1923
The Saint-Charles factory in the 15th district of Paris comes into operation to manufacture and assemble gearboxes for the 5CV.
History of Citroën: 1924
The Saint-Ouen plant outsides Paris comes on line when Citroën begins production of the B12, a car with an "all-steel" body. Specializing in the cold-stamping of large batches of small components, the factory is equipped with 250 presses with a capacity of up to 1,400 tonnes.
The Epinettes factory, an annex of Saint-Ouen, comes into operation towards the end of the year. Its role is to produce and treat springs.
Convinced of the worldwide appeal of the motor car, André Citroën lays down the basis for an international network of subsidiaries in Brussels, Amsterdam, Cologne, Milan, Geneva and Copenhagen.
A full 17,000 vehicles are exported in 1924. Citroën renews the taxi fleet in Paris, and sets up a company to run high-speed inter-city bus services.
The Société Anonyme Automobiles Citroën is founded with a capital of FF l00 million. Its declared role is to manufacture motor vehicles.
Daily production rises to 300 vehicles.
History of Citroën: 1925
Citroën continues to shape and develop its network of dealers in France, the first such organization truly to merit the name of network. From 200 dealers in 1919, numbers have risen to 5,000 in 1925.
Subsidiaries are set up in Madrid and Algiers.
A new forging department comes into operation in Clichy in the Paris area. The fifty machines of this exceptionally advanced metal-working facility make it the largest single forge in Europe.
Haardt and Audouin-Dubreuil lead their second expedition, the Croisière Noire. Between October 1924 and July 1925, the sixteen men and eight half-tracks of the Citroën Central African Expedition travel from Colomb-Béchar to Tananarivo. This journey of 20,000 kilometres is made for the purposes of scientific study.
From 1925 to 1934, Citroën's name is emblazoned in lights on the Eiffel Tower. A total 250,000 light bulbs and 600 kilometres of electric flex are required for the letters, which are 30 metres high.
History of Citroën: 1926
To meet the needs of steadily increasing production, Citroën adopts Taylor's method of specializing each plant in a particular activity.
The Grenelle factory comes on line in the 15th district of Paris. Its job is to make front axles and final drive assemblies for the new B14.
A factory and research laboratory are placed at the disposal of the technical studies and quality control office.
Citroën publishes its first standard service and repair manual for dealers, together with a list of spare parts. The marque also develops a replacement policy for standard mechanical parts.
An animated model invented for children proves to be just as interesting to adults. Measuring 15 m by 2 m, it shows the assembly facilities in the Javel factory. The model preludes the introduction of guided tours round Citroën's plants.
The first Belgian car assembly plant comes into operation at Brussels-Forest, where it produces the 5CV, the B12 and the B14. A second new factory - considered to be one of the most modern is the country - comes on line in the British town of Slough, where it begins body production and assembly of the 5CV Trèfle. Another factory in Cologne, Germa-ny, assembles the B14, C4 and C6, while yet another in Milan, Italy, assembles the 5CV Trèfle, C4 and C6.
History of Citroën: 1927
The Gutenberg factory comes on line in Paris, making engines and gearboxes.
Subsidiaries are set up in Lisbon and Tunis. Citroën factories in France and abroad cover a total area of 762,000 m2 and employ a workforce of 31,000.The production rate reaches 400 vehicles per day, a level unprecedented in Europe, paving the way for substantial reductions in vehicle prices.
During the Paris Motor Show, André Citroën organizes immensely successful public tours of his factories.
The number of Citroëns on the road totals 319,074.
History of Citroën: 1928
Citroën plants employ a workforce of 30,000 and have a total production capacity of 1,000 vehicles a day. The marque has 14 distributors in France and North Africa and a service network of 5,000 dealers in France, as well as ten subsidiaries and four plants in other countries.
Citroën's overseas sales account for 45% of all French motor industry exports. Once a month, André Citroën buys the back page of the French newspapers with the largest circulation (15 million) to advertise his factories.
History of Citroën: 1929
During the Paris Motor Show, Citroën again organizes "open days" at the Quai de Javel factory.