History of Citroën: 1950
The SCEMM (Société de Construction d'Equipements, de Mécanisations et de Machines) begins operations at
St. Etienne. This Citroën subsidiary is devoted to the manufacture of production equipment, particularly special machinery.
In the German city of Cologne, Citroën Automobile AG recommences operations after the interruption of the war, but purely as a sales organization.
History of Citroën: 1951
The 15CV becomes the official car used by the French government.
History of Citroën: 1952
The 2CV and the H go into assembly in Belgium.
The sales company, Citroën Cars Corporation, is founded in New York, USA.
The sales company Citroën Maroc begins operations in Morocco.
History of Citroën: 1953
A new Citroën plant comes on line at Rennes-la Barre Thomas in Brittany. Citroën starts to decentralize production, which has hitherto been based in Paris around the Quai de Javel plant. However it is only at the end of the 1970s that a balance is finally struck between the Paris region and the provinces. The new facility in Brittany specializes in the manufacture of ball-bearings and parts made from thermoplastic elastomer (rubber or plastic).
Citroën and Panhard reach agreement on the partial merger of their sales networks.
History of Citroën: 1954
The Asnières plant begins operation of its hydraulics manufacturing plant, built in preparation for the DS. The Asnières "hydraulics" section is henceforth responsible for all the hydraulic parts used in Citroën cars.
History of Citroën: 1956
The DS goes into assembly in Belgium.
History of Citroën: 1957
An assembly line turning out 2 CV vans comes into operation in Pnom Penh (Cambodia).
Citroën and the Société Alsacienne de Constructions Mécaniques sign an agreement whereby a plant in Mulhouse is turned over to the manufacture of drive joints.
Citroën installs its first computer in the Spare Parts department.
History of Citroën: 1958
Citroën Hispania opens a plant in the Spanish port of Vigo and starts to produce 2CV vans for the Spanish market and for export. By manufacturing vehicles inside Spain, Citroën gains access to a market where strict quotas are placed on imports.
On 9 October, Quai de Javel is officially renamed "Quai André Citroën".
History of Citroën: 1959
Accords entre Citroën et la société sud-africaine Atlanta Industries (Pty) Ltd et, plus tard, la Stanley Motors Ltd, pour le montage de l'ID Citroën signs an agreement with the South African company, Atlanta Industries (Pty) Ltd, and later with Stanley Motors Ltd, for the assembly of the ID 19 in Johannesburg. The objective is to overcome import limitations and increase sales.
Scientific data processing takes its first steps. Citroën is invited to show the DS at the Milan Triennale, the international exhibition of art and design chaired by the architect Gio Ponti.
An ID 19 driven by Coltelloni, Alexandre and Desrosiers wins the Monte Carlo Rally. As a result, Citroën decides to take part in road races and signs an agreement with René Cotton, director of the Paris Ile-de-France Stable. Coltelloni is European Rally Champion in 1959.